Stoning. :)
It's been a long, long time!
I've been wanting to update but was too busy.
Finally got a three day break from work and decided to chill and do some updates.
Well let's see.
I've been super busy at work.
Right now my life almost revolves around my current project, the Stones Project.
I kind of have a love-hate relationship with it.
In fact, there were a few times where I got so frustrated and disturbed, I woke up and just felt like raising the white flag and submitting my resignation letter.
But hey, I'm still here. :)
So, what is the Stones Project about?
Stones is actually an oil field at the Gulf of Mexico.
Right now in Singapore, we are converting a tanker vessel into a FPSO (Floating, Production, Storage and Offloading) vessel which will be stationed at the oil field to draw and process the oil.
It is split between three companies and four yards.
The modules will be done by two different companies.
The vessel will be converted in one of the yards.
But all new structures will be fabricated and built in another yard.
So why is it so special?
Stones is an ULTRA DEEPWATER project by big players SBM and Shell.
It would be Shell's FIRST FPSO at the Gulf of Mexico.
It will be the DEEPEST project in the world.
The turret will probably be the HEAVIEST in the world.
And it would be the MOST ADVANCED disconnectable turret and buoy system ever.
Quite likely, it will be shown on the Discovery Channel in the future. :D
(Shell is actually already making preparations for that)
Yes, the project is special.
But what makes it special to me, isn't just the project, but the people in it.
We have all come a long way, having started the project together since last year in August 2013.
It's kind of amazing.
How strangers from various companies and background come together to form a team that not just gets the job done, but gets the job done with such team spirit and thoughtfulness.
We do not care about individual achievements, we do not care about if it is your job or my job, what we care about is to ensure that the project runs smoothly and nobody gets hurt in this process.
And we do it through respect, sincerity and passion.
I've done a few projects prior to this, but I have never felt like this before.
In fact, I think it's kind of like fate that we're together.
Even my client who has done tonnes of projects before told me personally that it is very rare to have a project team like this.
There have been countless of times I felt like quitting.
I can't deny that it is partly because of this project.
It is so, so tough.
The time, the effort, the responsibilities, the commitment.
We are running a project with lesser manpower than required.
And with insufficient or inadequate facilities that is required for this particular project.
It is really putting a toll on all of us, physically and mentally.
But to be honest, the project isn't the reason why I would quit, if I do.
It is the company.
I can't seem to accept how the company function.
The culture and the closed mind set.
If you knew me well enough, you would know that I'm a person who values openness, positive changes and ethics, a lot.
Anybody can work and get the job done, as long as they are hardworking enough.
Anybody can go with the flow, and just do what they're told without putting in much thought.
But how many actually think and ask themselves this question all the time.
How can we do better?
That is the difference between an average employee, and an employee that adds value to the company.
I don't want to be the blind follower who does not think and improve.
I don't want to be the quiet worker who just does everything he/she's told and go home with a pretty good salary each month.
It is not satisfying to me at all.
I want to be a person that thinks and find ways to do things better each time.
I want to be an employee who helps to improve the company and the environment of the people in it.
Stones is the only reason why I'm still here.
Because the significance, importance and magnitude of the project allows me to do it with my position in it.
I am honoured to be the Lead Safety Officer for this project, and I take it as my duty and responsibility to help this project and the people in it as much as I can or am allowed to do so.
And as mentioned, I guess it's fate.
Because the people in the team shares the same vision as me and we support each other in every way that we possibly can.
It could be in many different ways - ideas, resources, connections, or even just authoritative support.
Together, we have done a lot for the project and the people in it.
From the little things to the big things.
In fact, we have so much pride in our project and the things we do such that we have decided to submit one of our "accidental" idea for the Safety Innovation Team (SIT) convention this year!
I'll not share what it's about since it's pretty complicated and maybe technical.
We actually came up with the idea and made the system for one of our structures to make certain things safer and require lesser manpower.
Didn't think much about it cause it was mainly just to make everyone's lives easier.
But somehow management learnt about it and is pushing for it to be submitted for the competition even though the dateline for submission is already over.
I usually try to avoid these stuff cause it's basically more work.
But this time round I'm actually pretty stoked about it!
Project Manager has appointed me to be the Team Leader for this side project.
Although it's definitely more "saikang", but I actually want to do it well for the team.
How awesome if we win something and it is done by the Stones Project Team right?!
Another achievement for us. :D
The idea can also be used for the Innovation and Quality Circles (IQC) Convention later this year as it is also considered an innovative idea that improves productivity/quality!
Haven't felt this enthusiastic and motivated in awhile. :)
Okay let's put these Stones stuff aside.
I actually do have thoughts of moving on from this company due to the differences in values.
In fact I have already prepared my resume and gotten the relevant referees.
It's kind of weird.
My manager and my clients have actually agreed to be my referee... o_o
Even though I'm doing pretty well in the company and have gotten quite a bit of recognition from management and clients...
My clients even gave me a pretty prestigious award not too long ago.
But on a personal level, they also know and understand that the company does not suit me.
Right now, I'm still motivated to fight for Stones and I know I can do it till the end of the project.
Then again, sometimes I'll be thinking... What will happen when this project ends?
It'll be back to square one.
I'll probably be working with people who does not share the same values and vision, or working in projects that is not significant enough to allow changes.
Maybe I can wait till the project ends then move on.
But, that would be next year and would it be too late?
I actually can't make up my mind right now.
I've done up my resume and gotten all the relevant documents...
But till date, I have yet to send out a single application.
I guess I'll target May and see how.
But for now, enjoying my time in Stones while it lasts.
Together, we will continue to fight and work for this amazing project.
Like what the Stones motto says...
Building something special, with no harm.
I've been wanting to update but was too busy.
Finally got a three day break from work and decided to chill and do some updates.
Well let's see.
I've been super busy at work.
Right now my life almost revolves around my current project, the Stones Project.
I kind of have a love-hate relationship with it.
In fact, there were a few times where I got so frustrated and disturbed, I woke up and just felt like raising the white flag and submitting my resignation letter.
But hey, I'm still here. :)
So, what is the Stones Project about?
Stones is actually an oil field at the Gulf of Mexico.
Right now in Singapore, we are converting a tanker vessel into a FPSO (Floating, Production, Storage and Offloading) vessel which will be stationed at the oil field to draw and process the oil.
It is split between three companies and four yards.
The modules will be done by two different companies.
The vessel will be converted in one of the yards.
But all new structures will be fabricated and built in another yard.
So why is it so special?
Stones is an ULTRA DEEPWATER project by big players SBM and Shell.
It would be Shell's FIRST FPSO at the Gulf of Mexico.
It will be the DEEPEST project in the world.
The turret will probably be the HEAVIEST in the world.
And it would be the MOST ADVANCED disconnectable turret and buoy system ever.
Quite likely, it will be shown on the Discovery Channel in the future. :D
(Shell is actually already making preparations for that)
Yes, the project is special.
But what makes it special to me, isn't just the project, but the people in it.
We have all come a long way, having started the project together since last year in August 2013.
It's kind of amazing.
How strangers from various companies and background come together to form a team that not just gets the job done, but gets the job done with such team spirit and thoughtfulness.
We do not care about individual achievements, we do not care about if it is your job or my job, what we care about is to ensure that the project runs smoothly and nobody gets hurt in this process.
And we do it through respect, sincerity and passion.
I've done a few projects prior to this, but I have never felt like this before.
In fact, I think it's kind of like fate that we're together.
Even my client who has done tonnes of projects before told me personally that it is very rare to have a project team like this.
There have been countless of times I felt like quitting.
I can't deny that it is partly because of this project.
It is so, so tough.
The time, the effort, the responsibilities, the commitment.
We are running a project with lesser manpower than required.
And with insufficient or inadequate facilities that is required for this particular project.
It is really putting a toll on all of us, physically and mentally.
But to be honest, the project isn't the reason why I would quit, if I do.
It is the company.
I can't seem to accept how the company function.
The culture and the closed mind set.
If you knew me well enough, you would know that I'm a person who values openness, positive changes and ethics, a lot.
Anybody can work and get the job done, as long as they are hardworking enough.
Anybody can go with the flow, and just do what they're told without putting in much thought.
But how many actually think and ask themselves this question all the time.
How can we do better?
That is the difference between an average employee, and an employee that adds value to the company.
I don't want to be the blind follower who does not think and improve.
I don't want to be the quiet worker who just does everything he/she's told and go home with a pretty good salary each month.
It is not satisfying to me at all.
I want to be a person that thinks and find ways to do things better each time.
I want to be an employee who helps to improve the company and the environment of the people in it.
Stones is the only reason why I'm still here.
Because the significance, importance and magnitude of the project allows me to do it with my position in it.
I am honoured to be the Lead Safety Officer for this project, and I take it as my duty and responsibility to help this project and the people in it as much as I can or am allowed to do so.
And as mentioned, I guess it's fate.
Because the people in the team shares the same vision as me and we support each other in every way that we possibly can.
It could be in many different ways - ideas, resources, connections, or even just authoritative support.
Together, we have done a lot for the project and the people in it.
From the little things to the big things.
In fact, we have so much pride in our project and the things we do such that we have decided to submit one of our "accidental" idea for the Safety Innovation Team (SIT) convention this year!
I'll not share what it's about since it's pretty complicated and maybe technical.
We actually came up with the idea and made the system for one of our structures to make certain things safer and require lesser manpower.
Didn't think much about it cause it was mainly just to make everyone's lives easier.
But somehow management learnt about it and is pushing for it to be submitted for the competition even though the dateline for submission is already over.
I usually try to avoid these stuff cause it's basically more work.
But this time round I'm actually pretty stoked about it!
Project Manager has appointed me to be the Team Leader for this side project.
Although it's definitely more "saikang", but I actually want to do it well for the team.
How awesome if we win something and it is done by the Stones Project Team right?!
Another achievement for us. :D
The idea can also be used for the Innovation and Quality Circles (IQC) Convention later this year as it is also considered an innovative idea that improves productivity/quality!
Haven't felt this enthusiastic and motivated in awhile. :)
Okay let's put these Stones stuff aside.
I actually do have thoughts of moving on from this company due to the differences in values.
In fact I have already prepared my resume and gotten the relevant referees.
It's kind of weird.
My manager and my clients have actually agreed to be my referee... o_o
Even though I'm doing pretty well in the company and have gotten quite a bit of recognition from management and clients...
My clients even gave me a pretty prestigious award not too long ago.
But on a personal level, they also know and understand that the company does not suit me.
Right now, I'm still motivated to fight for Stones and I know I can do it till the end of the project.
Then again, sometimes I'll be thinking... What will happen when this project ends?
It'll be back to square one.
I'll probably be working with people who does not share the same values and vision, or working in projects that is not significant enough to allow changes.
Maybe I can wait till the project ends then move on.
But, that would be next year and would it be too late?
I actually can't make up my mind right now.
I've done up my resume and gotten all the relevant documents...
But till date, I have yet to send out a single application.
I guess I'll target May and see how.
But for now, enjoying my time in Stones while it lasts.
Together, we will continue to fight and work for this amazing project.
Like what the Stones motto says...
Building something special, with no harm.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home